Saturday, May 03, 2008

AEstivation

Revival of a funny old post I had made in
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/latin/


from *The Autocrat at the Breakfast Table*
by Oliver Wendell Holmes (circa 1858)

"[Your talking Latin---said I---reminds me of an odd trick
of one of my old tutors. He read so much of that language
that his English half turned into it....]

"In candent ire the solar splendor flames;

The foles, languescent, pend from arid rames;

His humid front the cive, anheling, wipes

And dreams of erring on ventiferous ripes.


"How dulce to vive occult to mortal eyes,

Dorm on the herb with none to supervise,

Carp the suave berries from the crescent vine,

And bibe the flow from logicaudate kine!


"To me, alas! no verdurous visions come,

Save you exiguous pool's conferva-scum,--

No concave vast repeats the tender hue

That laves my milk-jug with celestial blue!


"Me wretched! Let me curr to quercine shades!

Effund your albid hausts, lactiferous maids!

Oh, might I vole to some umbrageous clump,--

Depart,--be off,--excede,--evade,--erump!"

posted by nudius

No comments: